Online video becomes the star format for branded content
London, 15th January 2013: 2012 was characterised by a marked increase of online video in brands’ communication strategies. The top videos of 2012 ranked by Ebuzzing Social, the global experts in social video advertising, show the importance of this emerging format and its potential as a medium for original content and creative advertising.
In 2012 the sectors which had the most success in online video were Entertainment, Technology, Luxury and Drinks
- Samsung, Google, Red Bull and Dior all have 2 videos each in the global top 20 videos
Sports stars are the key to success
- With over 100 million views, Turkish Airlines’ video featuring Kobe Bryant and Lionel Messi took the top spot, despite only being published on the 6th December. The use of two of the best sportsmen of all time and one small boy struck a chord with millions of viewers worldwide.
- 4 of the top 5 videos feature sports stars or sporting activities. Despite being overshadowed by Felix Baumgartner’s leap from space, Ken Block’s Gymkhana five: ultimate urban playground – San Francisco takes 2nd place with over 38 million views and an interaction rate of 2.4%
85% of online videos were created specifically for online distribution
- Advertisers use a wide range of formats - longform, shortform, behind the scenes etc.
- Globally the average video length is around 3 minutes, however it is shorter in the UK with an average of 100 seconds - still much longer than the average 30 second TV spot.
- The videos with the best interaction rate tend to be the longer videos
Video is becoming a fundamental part of advertiser’s brand content strategy
- Video helps to convey the messages brands want to send to consumers. As we can see from the top 20, consumers respond to ‘true’ stories, humour and ads which touch their imaginations.
- Some brands also use video for ‘how-to’ guides, for example, Samsung released an 8 minute video demonstrating the features of the Samsung Galaxy II.
All rankings are based on the number of views a video received in 2012.
Interaction rate = number of Facebook interactions (likes+shares+comments) / total views
TOP 20 most viewed branded videos published in 2012 from a global account
TOP 20 most viewed branded videos published in 2012 from a UK account
About Ebuzzing Social
Ebuzzing Social is a leading global platform for social video advertising. Our network of social publishers includes over 40,000 influential blogs, social networks, social games, mobile applications and Facebook. Through our social video offering we have produced campaigns for many of the world's leading brands, delivering an explosive mix of influence, reach and engagement.
Based in the UK, the US, France, Italy, Spain, Germany and Luxembourg, Ebuzzing Social consists of 200 digital experts, of whom 60 are dedicated to R&D. This team has built the most comprehensive social media and general media database in existence over the past 5 years, crawling and analysing over 2 million data points in 5 European countries daily.