A new whitepaper designed to help the European Postal and Logistics industry address the challenges of “last mile” delivery through the use of technology has been published today by rugged mobile device manufacturer Panasonic Toughbook and Zetes, an innovative technology company helping businesses achieve agility, visibility and traceability across their end-to-end connected supply chain.
With the explosion of ecommerce, the pressures on the postal and logistics industry and its workforce are increasing. Online sales across are Europe are expected to rise to €450.2 billion by 2021 – a compound annual growth rate of 14%. This change in business and consumer buying habits has had a massive impact on the postal and delivery industry, with a 69% increase in European parcel deliveries forecast by 2021.
With this increased workload has come an urgency to find new, more efficient and effective ways of working, as the technology infrastructure and the workforce struggle under the strain. Independent research has shown that 60% of workers from the delivery, warehouse and logistics industry feel their mobile barcode scanner device is only fairly effective or not effective at all. These devices are already being used to scan an average of 197 times per day and workers predict year-on-year growth of 24%.
The dramatic increase in workload – combined with outdated technology – is also having an impact on workforce health. More than 60% reported suffering from wrist or arm aches and pains, with 69% forced to take time off for an average of 2.75 sick days in the past 12 months. Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) also affected 52% of the workforce, with 78% of those affected having to take an average of 3 sick days in the past 12 months.
“To successfully grow to cater for the increased demand across Europe, postal and logistics businesses should examine their use of mobile computing solutions,” said Jan Kaempfer, General Manager for Marketing at Panasonic Computer Product Solutions. “The latest hardware, combined with specialist software solutions, can keep their organisation at the forefront of the delivery revolution. This whitepaper aims to show just how technology can deliver for the industry, and how forward-thinking European businesses are already adopting these solutions successfully to ensure they are efficient and keeping their workforce healthy.”
A copy of the Built to Deliver: Addressing the challenges of the European postal and logistics industry with rugged mobile computing, can be downloaded at: https://toughbook.panasonic.eu/built-to-deliver
View the HTML version at:
 Retail Research 2017 report “Online Retailing: Britain, Europe, US and Canada”
 Cushman & Wakefield 2017 report “Urban Logistics”
 Panasonic report “Scanning pain for no gain”
The Amber Group
+44 (0)118 949 7750
About Panasonic System Communications Company Europe (PSCEU)
Our quest is to make technology work invisibly together and free businesses to succeed. We believe technology should just work. That businesses will succeed if they can simply focus on their customers, in the knowledge that all the technologies delivering their capabilities work together. That is why we are dedicated to developing products and solutions that are so integrated with our customer’s way of working, that they are almost invisible – the workhorse in the background that powers business success.
PSCEU is made up of six product categories:
- Broadcast & ProAV gives you the freedom to tell the story with its high quality products and solutions, which ensure smooth operation and excellent cost-performance across a range of remote cameras, switchers, studio cameras and ENG P2HD. The cinema camera range of VariCam models and the EVA1 are capable of true 4K and High Dynamic Range (HDR) making them the ideal solution for cinema, television, documentary and live event production.
- Communication Solutions offers world leading telephony systems, SIP terminal devices and professional ‘network’ scanners giving you the freedom to focus on the communication and not the connection.
- Computer Product Solutions help mobile workers improve productivity with its range of Toughbook rugged notebooks, business tablets, handhelds and electronic point of sales (EPOS) systems. As European market leaders, Panasonic had a 57% revenue share of sales of rugged and durable notebooks and held a 56% revenue share of sales of rugged business tablets in 2017 (VDC Research, 2018).
- Industrial Medical Vision manufactures applications for various segments such as medical, life science, ProAV or industrial. The product portfolio includes complete and OEM camera systems, providing the freedom to see what can’t be seen.
- Security Solutions, built on a heritage of providing evidential quality CCTV footage. Delivering the highest image quality in all environmental conditions using our highly reliable, advanced technology cameras and image recording systems, giving you the freedom to feel secure.
- Visual System Solutions offers the widest range of professional displays and projectors and allows Audio Visual professionals the freedom to create. It leads the European high brightness projector market with a 39% market revenue share (Futuresource >5klm FY17 Q3, excl. 4K & digital cinema).
Panasonic Corporation is a worldwide leader in the development of diverse electronics technologies and solutions for customers in the consumer electronics, housing, automotive, and B2B businesses. Celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2018, the company has expanded globally and now operates 591 subsidiaries and 88 associated companies worldwide, recording consolidated net sales of Euro 61.4 billion for the year ended March 31, 2018. Committed to pursuing new value through innovation across divisional lines, the company uses its technologies to create a better life and a better world for its customers. To learn more about Panasonic: http://www.panasonic.com/global