BRACKNELL, UK. 21st FEBRUARY 2019 - The use of Android tablets and handhelds are on the rise in business but security remains a concern, according to the latest research from Panasonic Business. On average, 72% of tablets and handheld devices in businesses (excluding mobile telephones) use the Android operating system. And with 60% of device buyers saying Android was still being integrated into their organisations, the number of devices is expected to rise with the majority seeing growth for the next three years.
The top three benefits of Android over other operating systems were said to be flexibility (59%), security (58%) and affordability (52%).
But businesses believe they should be security patching their devices much more; on average 4 times a year more than they currently do. The variety of methods to deploy security patches also varied with 66% relying on the IT department, 38% using a Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution, 30% taking equipment manufacturer updates via Firmware over the air, 23% relying on the User, 22% using an IT support company and 16% using a reseller.
When it came to management capabilities in a business Android device, mobile buyers expected to see the following functionality as standard:
A customisable OS to meet the business’ requirements
Android for Work
Policy Management Tool/Console for firmware updates
Enhanced Android Security support
Incorporation of certified 3rd party security solution
Free of charge, out of the box productivity and manageability apps
Staging, EMM certifications, licences and customised MDM apps
SCOMO Software Component management object
Compatibility across different devices from the same manufacturer
FOTO Firmware over the air
Optional modular-based Developer package
Businesses currently update their Android operating systems on each device an average of 5 times per year and they expect their device provider to support the Android operating system for up to 3 years after the end of device’s life.
Android devices not all equal
“The march of Android mobile devices into the business world continues apace but how IT departments effectively manage and secure these devices remains a challenge,” said Jan Kaempfer, General Manager for Marketing at Panasonic Computer Product Solutions. “It is important that buyers recognise that not all Android mobile devices are equal. They should look closely at the management and security functionality being offered by their vendor and their Android engineering experience. With the use of the latest over air updates and management consoles, IT departments can save considerable time and money automating their updates by choosing the right device with the right management and security functionality.
The independent research, carried out by Opinion Matters on behalf of Panasonic Toughbook, questioned 250 UK technology buyers of notebooks, tablets and handheld devices for mobile workforces. Click here for a copy of the research executive summary: https://business.panasonic.co.uk/computer-product/android-on-the-march.
The Amber Group
+44 (0)118 949 7737
About Panasonic System Communications Company Europe (PSCEU)
Our quest is to make technology work invisibly together and free businesses to succeed. We believe technology should just work. That businesses will succeed if they can simply focus on their customers, in the knowledge that all the technologies delivering their capabilities work together. That is why we are dedicated to developing products and solutions that are so integrated with our customer’s way of working, that they are almost invisible – the workhorse in the background that powers business success.
PSCEU is made up of six product categories:
- Broadcast & ProAV gives you the freedom to tell the story with its high quality products and solutions, which ensure smooth operation and excellent cost-performance across a range of remote cameras, switchers, studio cameras and ENG P2HD. The cinema camera range of VariCam models and the EVA1 are capable of true 4K and High Dynamic Range (HDR) making them the ideal solution for cinema, television, documentary and live event production.
- Communication Solutions offers world leading telephony systems, SIP terminal devices and professional ‘network’ scanners giving you the freedom to focus on the communication and not the connection.
- Computer Product Solutions help mobile workers improve productivity with its range of Toughbook rugged notebooks, business tablets, handhelds and electronic point of sales (EPOS) systems. As European market leaders, Panasonic had a 57% revenue share of sales of rugged and durable notebooks and tablets in 2017 (VDC Research, March 2018).
- Industrial Medical Vision manufactures applications for various segments such as medical, life science, ProAV or industrial. The product portfolio includes complete and OEM camera systems, providing the freedom to see what can’t be seen.
- Security Solutions, built on a heritage of providing evidential quality CCTV footage. Delivering the highest image quality in all environmental conditions using our highly reliable, advanced technology cameras and image recording systems, giving you the freedom to feel secure.
- Visual System Solutions offers the widest range of professional displays and projectors and allows Audio Visual professionals the freedom to create. It leads the European high brightness projector market with a 39% market revenue share (Futuresource >5klm FY17 Q3, excl. 4K & digital cinema).
Panasonic Corporation is a worldwide leader in the development of diverse electronics technologies and solutions for customers in the consumer electronics, housing, automotive, and B2B businesses. The company, which celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2018, has expanded globally and now operates 591 subsidiaries and 88 associated companies worldwide, recording consolidated net sales of Euro 61.4 billion for the year ended March 31, 2018. Committed to pursuing new value through innovation across divisional lines, the company uses its technologies to create a better life and a better world for its customers. To learn more about Panasonic: http://www.panasonic.com/global.