As the need for fast, accurate and high volume translation continues to rise, global businesses increasingly rely on SDL’s sophisticated Machine Translation technology
MAIDENHEAD, U.K. & WAKEFIELD, Mass. – May 17, 2016 – SDL (LSE: SDL) today announced that its Machine Translation (MT) engines have passed a major milestone and now translate over 20 billion words per month.
As demand for translation output increases, MT provides a significant advantage to doing global business and communicating around the globe. International companies are now using SDL’s MT for instant communication, translating and sharing user-generated content and analyzing Big Data sets. SDL has been developing MT technology for over 20 years, with the latest technology, XMT, released in 2015. This powerful engine helps organizations break down the barriers of multilingual communication by providing a scalable infrastructure for the development and rapid deployment of real-time translation capabilities.
“Machine Translation has become critical to improving language translation workflows as well as enabling global business management,” said Dominic Kinnon, President, Global Language Solutions at SDL. “Our MT technology is used by companies from a wide variety of sectors including finance, life sciences, travel and government to equip them to solve their language challenges.”
One of those challenges is converting multilingual Big Data into business knowledge. Within the global financial services industry, SDL’s MT is used to monitor global financial news, gain instantaneous translations regardless of the source language and deliver news and insight to customers at almost real-time speeds. Another use case is the translation of user-generated content such as reviews, forum content and social media for global consumption and sharing.
SDL offers MT engines that are scaled, trained and deployed to meet the unique needs of each individual organization. Key capabilities include:
- Engine Training – Industry-trained and custom-trained engines produce higher quality MT output to match the terminology and style of the individual organization.
- Secure Deployment Options – SDL’s secure cloud offering can be hosted either in a class III data center, where all customer content is destroyed at the completion of the translation, or onsite behind a customer’s firewall.
- Post-Editing MT – An increasingly popular translation option is to have human translators Post-Editing Machine Translation (PEMT), doubling their daily production. SDL offers PEMT optimized engines, training and best practices to increase translator output.
- Integrations – As organizations look to incorporate their translation activities into their overarching global content strategy, SDL’s MT capabilities integrate directly with other business applications.
- Social Media – SDL’s MT engines are particularly adept at translating unstructured, social media content as its algorithms manage metadata, morphology and abbreviations common to social communications.
To learn more about SDL’s MT capabilities, please visit our Machine Translation page and view our latest infographic here: http://www.sdl.com/download/sdligmachinetranslationvolume/98977/
SDL (LSE: SDL) is the leader in global content management and language solutions. With more than 20 years of experience, SDL helps companies build relevant digital experiences that deliver transformative business results on a global scale. Seventy-nine of the top 100 global brands trust SDL to simplify the complexity of managing content across multiple brands, websites, languages, and devices. Go global faster with SDL. Learn more at SDL.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
+ 44 (0) 7792 662213
Emily Held/Jenny Gardynski