New product releases boost database performance, ease management with more customisable tools and expand High Availability support with automated failover manager
London, UK – November 19, 2013 – EnterpriseDB (EDB), the leading worldwide provider of enterprise-class Postgres products and Oracle database compatibility solutions, today announced new versions of its flagship database and enterprise-class management console – Postgres Plus Advanced Server 9.3 and Postgres Enterprise Manager 4.0, respectively. The company today also announced a new product, EDB Failover Manager, a critical component for meeting enterprise High Availability requirements.
Enterprises have been seeking to adopt or expand their use of Postgres as its performance and stability have become more widely recognised throughout the industry. New interest in using Postgres for more and larger mission-critical and non-mission critical applications has brought an expanding scope of enterprise requirements for performance, manageability and High Availability.
Working with its largest customers, EDB develops new features, capabilities and products targeting the needs and requirements of the global enterprise. This progress was recognised in the October 2013 Gartner Research report, Magic Quadrant for Operational Database Management Systems.* EDB was positioned in the Challenger Quadrant. Stated the report: "The functionality of EnterpriseDB's Postgres Plus has increased greatly, and with the Oracle Compatibility Feature is now more than sufficient to run both mission-critical and non-mission-critical applications."
EDB is the largest Postgres software and services provider with enterprise-class software, professional services, support and training to ensure success with Postgres as organisations expand their deployments of open source software to the data center. More than 2,000 enterprises, government agencies and other organisations worldwide use EnterpriseDB products and services to successfully deploy Postgres, reduce their reliance on costly traditional databases and slash database costs by more than 80 percent.
"We have 47 of the Fortune 500 list of global companies and 73 of the Global 1000 in our customer base. These kinds of users have huge demands for their database but they want to use Postgres to reduce their spending on costly, proprietary solutions," said Ed Boyajian, CEO and president of EnterpriseDB. "We're answering their needs by baking into PostgreSQL the enterprise-level features and capabilities global brands need to deploy open source in their environments."
Postgres Plus Advanced Server
Postgres Plus Advanced Server 9.3 builds upon community PostgreSQL 9.3, which was released in September, and includes the important new features for better handling NoSQL-like applications, such as expanded JSON support.
Among the advances EDB has developed for Postgres Plus Advanced Server 9.3 are:
- Major performance improvements in partitioning expand the workloads that Postgres Plus Advanced Server is capable of handling, including large datasets that require scaling to hundreds and even thousands of table partitions. In read-only (SELECT) tests, Postgres Plus Advanced Server 9.3 performed 75 times faster than Postgres Plus Advanced Server 9.2 version. INSERT tests for a million rows across 1000 partitions showed over 400 percent improvement.
- The introduction of materialised views significantly improves the performance of resource-intensive queries, allowing database administrators (DBAs) to pre-select and pre-join commonly requested data and store the results so retrieving the data results in simpler, faster reads.
- New RPM packages ease the installation and maintenance of Postgres Plus Advanced Server for DBAs and the growing number of independent software vendors and systems integrators that are embedding EDB software into their products.
- Enhanced built-in package support speeds application development by saving developers time in coding operations like making HTTP callouts from the database manually. Instead, developers simply call these packages from the application. These packages have been implemented to be compatible with Oracle to ease migration of such applications into Postgres Plus Advanced Server.
EDB Failover Manager
EDB Failover Manager is the company's newest in a collection of integrated enterprise-class tools. It addresses a gap in the market for a reliable, cost-effective solution to monitor the health of a streaming replication cluster and initiate failover in the event the master database fails.
The new product is critical for meeting High Availability demands. It provides fault-tolerant database clusters, which significantly reduce downtime and helps to ensure data remains available and online if the main database fails. EDB Failover Manager provides cluster monitoring, failure detection and failover mechanisms that can be integrated into a variety of stringent High Availability solutions.
Postgres Enterprise Manager
Postgres Enterprise Manager is an enterprise-class tool for managing, monitoring and tuning large Postgres deployments. With Postgres Enterprise Manager, database professionals can easily manage more and larger databases across the enterprise from a single, highly customisable and easy-to-use graphical console.
The new capabilities available in Postgres Enterprise Manager 4.0 include customisable dashboards with the ability to control the look and feel as well as the content of monitoring views. The release also adds a series of new monitoring probes and alerts for Log Files, SQL injection attacks and replication configurations (binary streaming, xDB Replication Server and Slony).
Postgres Plus Advanced Server 9.3 and Postgres Enterprise Manager 4.0 are available now. EDB Failover Manager will be released for general availability on December 9, 2013.
"Our initial success more than a year ago with a seamless migration onto EnterpriseDB's Postgres Plus Advanced Server continues to produce benefits to our business and bottom line. We did not have to compromise on speed or performance but were able to realise significant cost savings. Today, we are proactively seeking ways to expand our Postgres deployments and the fact that Postgres Plus Advanced Server 9.3 can handle tables with thousands of partitions and perform even faster makes a stronger case for deploying Postgres wherever we can," said Frank Ebinger, head of IT engineering at Gallinat-Service GmbH.
"EDB Failover Manager strengthens the offering we can provide to large enterprises that have stringent High Availability requirements and want to deploy open source based solutions in the data center. The data center is a booming area for open source solutions and with EnterpriseDB as a partner, we have a powerful and evolving solution to strengthen our value proposition," said Robin Porter, business development manager, Quru.
* Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner's research organisation and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Connect with EnterpriseDB
Read our blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb
Become a fan on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/EnterpriseDB?ref=ts
Join us on Google+: https://plus.google.com/108046988421677398468
Connect on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/enterprisedb
About EnterpriseDB Corporation
EnterpriseDB is the leading worldwide provider of Postgres software and services that enable enterprises to reduce their reliance on costly proprietary solutions and slash their database spend by 80 percent or more. With powerful performance and security enhancements for PostgreSQL, sophisticated management tools for global deployments and Oracle compatibility, EnterpriseDB software supports both mission and non-mission critical enterprise applications. More than 2,000 enterprises, governments and other organisations worldwide use EnterpriseDB software, support, training and professional services to integrate open source software into their existing data infrastructures. Based in Bedford, MA, EnterpriseDB is backed by top-tier venture capitalists and strategic investors like Red Hat and IBM. For more information, please visit http://www.enterprisedb.com.
EnterpriseDB Media Contact:
020 8392 4079