Video shows how devices are used to carry out over 1m on-site inspections each year
BRACKNELL, UK. 31st January 2019 – NHBC, the UK’s leading home warranty and insurance provider, has equipped its Building Inspectors with rugged Panasonic TOUGHBOOK M1 tablets for use during construction site visits and home office working.
Historically 375 NHBC Building Inspectors around the country would note details of their visits to construction sites on pen and paper and take photos with a camera before recording inspection findings on their laptops. NHBC wanted to upgrade the mobile technology for the Building Inspectors to provide them with a single, rugged device that could be used during site visits and home use as a desktop.
“The new devices needed to be tough enough to stand up to the harsh environment of the building site, lightweight to be carried around and have a clear screen for use outside,” explained Chris Borah, NHBC Programme / Project Manager. “We also wanted a device running Microsoft Windows operating system – rather than Android - to be compatible with our systems and applications.”
After short listing, two devices were tested on-site and in the office with Building Inspectors and NHBC choosing the Panasonic rugged tablet. “It was much lighter, smaller and easier to carry for the Inspectors,” said Chris. “The performance of the device and the fact that it had its own docking station for use with a keyboard and screen also made it ideal for the Inspectors to use as a desktop at home.”
NHBC Building Inspectors now use the Panasonic TOUGHBOOK M1 tablets throughout the day. They carry out over 1m on-site inspections at key build stages each year, supporting the industry in the delivery of high quality, new homes. Each day they receive their jobs through the device and use the tablet during visits to record information. With the added flexibility of photo and video capability on the Panasonic device, NHBC are looking to introduce new functionality in the coming months which exploit these hardware features.
When at home, the NHBC branded devices can be used in the Panasonic docking station, along with a keyboard, mouse and screen to be used as a desktop. This set-up is ideal for staying up to date with office communications and the latest training and industry best practice.
Next day replacement
As part of a five-year service agreement, Panasonic provides all new devices pre-configured, so they are ready for Building Inspectors to use straight out the box. They also provide a 9am, next day replacement service for devices that are damaged or stolen to ensure the workforce always has the right tools for the job.
“The Panasonic device has given our Building Inspectors a single mobile computing device that is designed for their needs and future-proofed to grow with the organisation,” said Taz Johal, NHBC Senior Programme Manager.
For the full video story click: NHBC equips building inspectors with rugged Panasonic TOUGHBOOK M1 tablets
The Amber Group
+44 (0)118 949 7739
About Panasonic System Communications Company Europe (PSCEU)
Our quest is to make technology work invisibly together and free businesses to succeed. We believe technology should just work. That businesses will succeed if they can simply focus on their customers, in the knowledge that all the technologies delivering their capabilities work together. That is why we are dedicated to developing products and solutions that are so integrated with our customer’s way of working, that they are almost invisible – the workhorse in the background that powers business success.
PSCEU is made up of six product categories:
- Broadcast & ProAV gives you the freedom to tell the story with its high quality products and solutions, which ensure smooth operation and excellent cost-performance across a range of remote cameras, switchers, studio cameras and ENG P2HD. The cinema camera range of VariCam models and the EVA1 are capable of true 4K and High Dynamic Range (HDR) making them the ideal solution for cinema, television, documentary and live event production.
- Communication Solutions offers world leading telephony systems, SIP terminal devices and professional ‘network’ scanners giving you the freedom to focus on the communication and not the connection.
- Computer Product Solutions help mobile workers improve productivity with its range of Toughbook rugged notebooks, business tablets, handhelds and electronic point of sales (EPOS) systems. As European market leaders, Panasonic had a 57% revenue share of sales of rugged and durable notebooks and tablets in 2017 (VDC Research, March 2018).
- Industrial Medical Vision manufactures applications for various segments such as medical, life science, ProAV or industrial. The product portfolio includes complete and OEM camera systems, providing the freedom to see what can’t be seen.
- Security Solutions, built on a heritage of providing evidential quality CCTV footage. Delivering the highest image quality in all environmental conditions using our highly reliable, advanced technology cameras and image recording systems, giving you the freedom to feel secure.
- Visual System Solutions offers the widest range of professional displays and projectors and allows Audio Visual professionals the freedom to create. It leads the European high brightness projector market with a 39% market revenue share (Futuresource >5klm FY17 Q3, excl. 4K & digital cinema).
Panasonic Corporation is a worldwide leader in the development of diverse electronics technologies and solutions for customers in the consumer electronics, housing, automotive, and B2B businesses. The company, which celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2018, has expanded globally and now operates 591 subsidiaries and 88 associated companies worldwide, recording consolidated net sales of Euro 61.4 billion for the year ended March 31, 2018. Committed to pursuing new value through innovation across divisional lines, the company uses its technologies to create a better life and a better world for its customers. To learn more about Panasonic: http://www.panasonic.com/global.