The Panasonic Toughpad FZ-M1 with a FLIR Lepton Thermal Camera is ideal for a wide range of industry applications
BRACKNELL, UK. 27th FEBRUARY 2018 - Panasonic today announced at Mobile World Congress the fully rugged Panasonic Toughpad FZ-M1 Thermal Imaging Tablet designed to capture and process images on the move. The handy 7-inch tablet equipped with a FLIR Lepton micro thermal camera, is a Windows-based device that allows field workers to take and process accurate thermal images on the spot and link these images to other line of business applications and add metadata content such as QR codes.
The thermal camera, combined with the powerful rugged Panasonic tablet and its versatile, configurable set-up makes it ideal for a range of business sectors and applications. As well as obvious heat seeking applications for use by the fire, emergency services and defence sectors, thermal imaging can be used in manufacturing for production line control and quality assurance, in utilities and field services for maintenance and repairs, and in oil and gas, aviation, automotive and construction for asset management and diagnostics.
The thermal imaging application has been designed by Panasonic, drawing on its 20 years experience of providing seamless hardware and software solutions for business customers. With Standard and Pro (additional licence) software options, users can measure thermal high and low points, capture still images or record film and add meta data to images such as QR codes. This additional data functionality enables images to be integrated with multiple line of business applications using the capabilities and connectivity of the Panasonic Toughpad tablet.
The FLIR Lepton micro-thermal camera offers 160x120 thermal resolution and has an imaging temperature range of minus 20 degrees up to 400 degrees Celsius, plus or minus five degrees.
The Panasonic Toughpad FZ-M1 tablet delivers multi-task, high-performance working capabilities with its Windows 10 Pro operating system and its 6th generation Intel Core or Atom Core processor. For field workers, the device has an 8 hour battery life with 16 hour option and hot swap battery capabilities. The sunlight readable display can be operated with a stylus, by touchscreen and when wearing gloves.
With its flexible customisation options, the device can be configured with Barcode reader, Serial port, 4G and Smartcard as required. Its fully rugged and fanless design means it is drop resistant to 180cm and IP65 rated, yet compact and lightweight enough to fit into the pocket.
“The FLIR thermal imaging-equipped Toughpad FZ-M1 is yet another demonstration of Panasonic delivering out of the box, practical business applications using our market leading rugged mobile computing devices and our business understanding of the needs of mobile workforces,” said Jan Kaempfer, General Manager for Marketing at Panasonic Computer Product Solutions. “This application already has a successful international track record for a wide range of business applications from checking air conditioning unit efficiencies in railway carriages to surveying wear and tear on asphalt motorways.”
“We are pleased to welcome Panasonic as a ‘Thermal by FLIR’ partner with their industry-first tablet equipped with a FLIR micro thermal camera,” said Frank Pennisi, President of FLIR’s Industrial Business Unit. “The Panasonic Toughpad FZ-M1 allows Panasonic to offer capabilities unique to rugged tablet customers, and we look forward to more people discovering the benefits of thermal imaging and the World’s Sixth Sense.”
The Panasonic Toughpad FZ-M1 Thermal Imaging solution will be available from end of February 2018.
The thermal camera option will be available later in the year on other products.
The Amber Group
+44 (0)118 949 7750
About Panasonic System Communications Company Europe (PSCEU)
Panasonic System Communications Company Europe’s (PSCEU) goal is to improve the working lives of business professionals and help their organisations’ efficiency and performance through world leading technology. We help organisations capture, compute and communicate all sorts of information: image, voice, and textual data. With around 350 staff, engineering design expertise, global project management capability and a large European partner network, PSCEU offers unrivalled capability in its markets.
PSCEU is made up of six product categories:
- Broadcast & ProAV offers high quality products and solutions to ensure smooth operation and excellent cost-performance to end-users in the areas of remote camera solutions, switchers, studio camera solutions and ENG P2. The VariCam line-up of professional digital video cameras are capable of true 4K and High Dynamic Range (HDR) which makes them the ideal solution for cinema, television, documentary and live event production.
- Communication Solutions offer world leading communication solutions including professional scanners, telephony systems and SIP terminal devices.
- Computer Product Solutions help mobile workers improve productivity with its range of Toughbook rugged notebooks, Toughpad business tablets and electronic point of sales (EPOS) systems. As European market leaders, Panasonic Toughbook had a 67% revenue share of sales of rugged and durable notebooks and Panasonic Toughpad held a 56% revenue share of sales of rugged business tablets in 2016 (VDC Research, March 2017).
- Industrial Medical Vision provides applications for various segments such as medical, life science, ProAV or industrial. The product portfolio includes complete and OEM micro camera solutions. End-users, system integrators or distributors can choose from a range of full product solutions and component vision technology.
- Security Solutions, including video surveillance cameras and recorders, video intercom systems and intruder alarms.
- Visual System Solutions, including projectors and professional displays. Panasonic offers the widest range of Visual products, and leads the European high brightness projector market with a 37.20% market revenue share (Futuresource >5klm (FY16 April 2015 - March 2016, excl. 4K & digital cinema).
Panasonic Corporation is a worldwide leader in the development of diverse electronics technologies and solutions for customers in the consumer electronics, housing, automotive, and B2B businesses. Celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2018, the company has expanded globally and now operates 495 subsidiaries and 91 associated companies worldwide, recording consolidated net sales of Euro 61.711 billion for the year ended March 31, 2017. Committed to pursuing new value through innovation across divisional lines, the company uses its technologies to create a better life and a better world for its customers. To learn more about Panasonic: http://www.panasonic.com/global