New SCM and Content Collaboration Platform Adds Distributed Version Control System (DVCS) Capabilities, Git Management, IP Threat Detection, and Cloud Service
- New platform serves as a “single source of truth” for all contributors on multi-disciplinary product teams
- Offers native distributed version control system (DVCS) engine
- Includes complete Git management and pull request workflows
- Threat detection capabilities identify potential security breaches in real-time
- Helix Cloud edition offers fast, easy deployment for smaller teams and start-ups
- Built on renowned Perforce technology, Helix scales to tens of thousands of users, tens of millions of transactions per day, and terabytes of data
WOKINGHAM, UK (March 3, 2015) – Perforce Software today announced Perforce Helix, a new SCM and content collaboration platform that brings distributed workflows, Git management, advanced threat detection and new deployment options to enterprises building modern software products, Internet of Things devices and digital media.
Modern product development includes a convergence of software development, product engineering, and industrial design. The Helix collaboration platform serves as a single source of truth for all the contributors and assets involved in designing, creating and releasing a product—including source code, CAD files, product specs, multimedia, build scripts, environment artifacts and more. It is available as both on premise software and a cloud service.
“Helix’s hybrid DVCS approach suits the needs of engineers as well as the enterprise,” said Julie Craig, research director, Application Management, at Enterprise Management Associates. “Previously, the workflow tools preferred by developers often lacked crucial support for security, compliance and reliability required by the business. The direction that Perforce is taking delivers both, a win-win for all stakeholders.”
Native DVCS Capabilities for Greater Developer Flexibility
Helix is a hybrid version management solution that supports both distributed and centralised version control. It combines the developer advantages of a DVCS workflow with the security, scalability and performance required by the larger enterprise.
- Native DVCS workflow without limits on file or repository sizes
- Push and fetch to synchronise content between independent Helix sites
- Local repositories for a significant increase in speed
- Simple Git-style commands
“DVCS is widely used by individual contributors across various institutions because it lets developers work offline seamlessly," said Anuj Shroff, software engineer at The MathWorks. “These developers will welcome the ability to use a local server and a local code base while executing Perforce versioning commands. Companies using other SCM systems-distributed and centralised-would benefit from switching to Perforce because of its ability to handle large code bases."
Git Management with GitSwarm
Helix supports the pure Git-based workflow many developers prefer, while also making it easy to manage projects. GitSwarm provides a Git experience that synchronises with the Helix Versioning Engine for enterprise-grade visibility, security and control.
- Advanced repo management capabilities, pull requests, issue tracking, and web hooks
- Completely disconnected native Git workflows
- Security features include project visibility controls, protected branches and permissions
Real-time Threat Detection
Advanced behavioural analytics within Helix automatically detect potential IP theft across all accounts, projects and assets in the Helix platform.
- Monitors all file/IP movement and user interactions to protect against IP theft
- Pinpoints high-risk projects, suspicious staff and compromised accounts
- Accurately identifies anomalous behaviour
More about Helix Threat Detection can be found in the joint announcement from Perforce and Interset, “Perforce and Interset Deliver Industry’s First Intellectual Property Threat Detection Integrated with Source Code and Content Management.”
Cloud-based Version Control
The Helix platform includes a cloud edition. Helix Cloud provides powerful file storage, sharing, collaboration, and versioning through an elegant web-based interface. The SaaS offering eliminates the need for infrastructure or set-up.
- Store, share and version any type of file—including very large files
- Follow, comment, and collaborate in a simple web interface
- Developers can use either Git or Helix tools
Perforce will roll out the Helix platform over the course of the coming weeks. Helix DVCS and Threat Detection capabilities are available immediately. Helix Git management capabilities is in beta release and will be available for production use shortly.
About Perforce Software
Perforce Software helps companies build complex products more collaboratively, securely, and efficiently. Perforce Helix is a source code management (SCM) and content collaboration platform trusted by the world’s most innovative brands, including Samsung, NVIDIA, SAP, Pixar, National Instruments, Salesforce.com and the New York Stock Exchange. According to an independent study, companies that migrate to Perforce improve developer productivity by 15% and release their products 25% faster. The company is headquartered in Alameda, California, with offices in the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia, and sales partners around the globe. For more information, please visit www.perforce.com
Ph: +1 510-473-3186
Mob: +1 415-955-7483
Ph: +1 312-233-1361
Mob: +1 773-822-6182
Maxine Ambrose/Nicola Males
Ph: +44 1491 412944