Takes semi rugged mobile computing to new levels of flexibility, productivity and sustainability
BRACKNELL, UK. 9th September 2019 – Panasonic sets a new standard for semi rugged mobile computing with the launch of its TOUGHBOOK 55 notebook. For the first time, users will be able to customise their device for different tasks while in the field. The semi-rugged notebook in a slim and lightweight design will radically improve workforce flexibility and productivity, as well as delivering maximum return on investment for businesses.
The Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 55 clamshell notebook allows users to boost graphics capabilities, add a smartcard reader, additional storage or a DVD or Blu-Ray drive with a simple switch, fit and click of the new functionality into the TOUGHBOOK Universal Bay. In addition, a front expansion slot can be used to quickly integrate a fingerprint reader, RFID or regular smart card reader or for the addition of a second battery.
At purchase, buyers can also customise 3 additional ports for the device using its expansion slot, VGA, True Serial and one from a choice of 4th USB, 2nd GLAN or Rugged USB 2.0.
“This device is a game-changer. It takes semi rugged mobile computing to new levels of flexibility, productivity and sustainability,” said Jan Kaempfer, General Manager of Marketing for Panasonic Computer Product Solutions. “Users can customise their device on the move to suit the needs of their job role at the time. Buyers can invest in the device knowing that it has the flexibility to adapt to the changing needs of the business and the workforce over the long-term. Lastly, it cuts the carbon footprint of the device because it enables the repair and replacement of independent parts rather than discarding the device when one part fails or sending the whole device back for repair.”
An evolution of the successful TOUGHBOOK 54, the new TOUGHBOOK 55 is more flexible, faster, tougher, secure, and long lasting than its predecessor but can be still be used with accessories from the previous device, including vehicle docks and desktop port replicators.
Ideal for mobile work
The TOUGHBOOK 55 is a semi rugged device with a business notebook feel. It is lightweight (2.08kg), slim (32.8mm) and easy to move around with its premium designed handle. Yet it’s also tougher than its predecessor with an enhanced Ingress Protection Rating (IP53) against dust and water splash and protected against drops up to 91cm (MIL-STD810H*). Operation in extreme temperatures has also been enhanced, comfortably operating in temperatures ranging from -20°C to +60°C.*
With an increased battery life of up to 20 hours and an extended capability of 40 hours, with the addition of a hot swap second battery, the TOUGHBOOK 55 is as long working as it is adaptable.
Designed for easy use when docked in vehicles, the TOUGHBOOK 55 has enhanced voice recognition and speaker volume capabilities. With optional 4 mics, the device has an incredible voice recognition rate of 98%** Alongside its improved stereo speaker capabilities (92 dBA), the TOUGHBOOK is easy to use for conversations in-vehicle or in noisy work environments.
The TOUGHBOOK 55 keyboard has also been enhanced, making it easy to use and customisable for more efficient work. An optional colour changeable keyboard backlight can be specified by buyers the leaf design, isolated keys make for easy typing and it comes with resin painted letters for easy viewing in light or darkness.
Users can choose how they interact with the capacitive touch screen with up to 10 finger touch mode, with or without gloves, or by using a stylus with a fine nib of 2mm for precise writing and accuracy.
The device can also be used in a wide range of environments from bright sunlight to areas where light must be kept to a minimum (Max brightness 1000 cd/m2. Min Brightness 2 cd/m2). It includes optional a 2MP front camera with IR and privacy shutter for video conferencing.
Protected against both physical and digital attacks
While rugged features protect the TOUGHBOOK 55 against physical damage and the flexible customisation allows the storage to be easily removed for sensible data protection, a new frontier of security has been implemented to prevent malicious attacks to the system.
TOUGHBOOK 55 is one of the first notebooks in the market including a new advanced security platform which makes it a modern Windows 10 Pro device with hardware, software, and identity protection fully-enabled out of the box.
The 8th generation Intel Core i5 vPro processor, Panasonic advanced components and Windows 10 Pro features ensure highest protection against firmware attacks, securing BIOS phase and device attacks securing the data access even when the OS is in stand-by mode.
In addition, the TOUGHBOOK 55 offers identity protection with optional fingerprint reader, smart card reader, contactless smart card reader and Windows Hello facial recognition through an optional front camera.
TOUGHBOOK 55 is fully protected from start-up to shut-down.
Improved performance and comms
The TOUGHBOOK 55 comes with a performance improvement from its 8th generation Intel Core i5 vPro Quad Core CPU. It is equipped with 8GB RAM (up to 64GB) and 256GB SSD (512GB, 1TB, OPAL256, OPAL 512, OPAL1TB optional). Interfaces include USB3.1 x2, USB 3.1 type C PD, HDMI, LAN, micro SDXC slot and optional Dual Path Through.
Its communication capabilities are unrivalled with Bluetooth 5.0 to deliver faster data exchange or communicate over longer distances. It also supports WLAN with Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-9560.
The TOUGHBOOK 55 is optimised for Global Positioning use with Galileo and GPS in Europe, GLONASS in Russia and Beidou support in China by using the optional ublox-NEO-M8N.
Availability and pricing
The TOUGHBOOK 55 is available from September 2019 in 3 versions: HD, Full-HD and Full-HD Touch Screen. Price starts from £1,772 + VAT.
* Designed for MIL-STD810H. Test by an independent third party lab following MIL-STD810H will be done 2H 2019.
** Tested by Panasonic factory.
 Mobile Mark 2014, 150 cd/m. HD Model
 Full-HD Touch Screen Model only
 Full-HD and Full-HD Touch Screen Model only
The Amber Group
+44 (0)118 949 7737
About Panasonic System Communications Company Europe (PSCEU)
Our quest is to make technology work invisibly together and free businesses to succeed. We believe technology should just work. That businesses will succeed if they can simply focus on their customers, in the knowledge that all the technologies delivering their capabilities work together. That is why we are dedicated to developing products and solutions that are so integrated with our customer’s way of working, that they are almost invisible – the workhorse in the background that powers business success.
PSCEU is made up of six product categories:
- Broadcast & ProAV gives you the freedom to tell the story with its high quality products and solutions, which ensure smooth operation and excellent cost-performance across a range of remote cameras, switchers, studio cameras and ENG P2HD. The cinema camera range of VariCam models and the EVA1 are capable of true 4K and High Dynamic Range (HDR) making them the ideal solution for cinema, television, documentary and live event production.
- Communication Solutions offers world leading telephony systems, SIP terminal devices and professional ‘network’ scanners giving you the freedom to focus on the communication and not the connection.
- Mobile Solutions Business Division helps mobile workers improve productivity with its range of TOUGHBOOK rugged notebooks, business tablets, handhelds and electronic point of sales (EPOS) systems. As European market leaders, Panasonic had a 48% revenue share of sales of rugged and durable notebooks and tablets in 2018 (VDC Research, March 2019).
- Industrial Medical Vision manufactures applications for various segments such as medical, life science, ProAV or industrial. The product portfolio includes complete and OEM camera systems, providing the freedom to see what can’t be seen.
- Security Solutions, built on a heritage of providing evidential quality CCTV footage. Delivering the highest image quality in all environmental conditions using our highly reliable, advanced technology cameras and image recording systems, giving you the freedom to feel secure.
- Visual System Solutions offers the widest range of professional displays and projectors and allows Audio Visual professionals the freedom to create. It leads the European high brightness projector market with a 39% market revenue share (Futuresource >5klm FY17 Q3, excl. 4K & digital cinema).
Panasonic Corporation is a worldwide leader in the development of diverse electronics technologies and solutions for customers in the consumer electronics, housing, automotive, and B2B businesses. The company, which celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2018, has expanded globally and now operates 582 subsidiaries and 87 associated companies worldwide, recording consolidated net sales of Euro 62.5 billion for the year ended March 31, 2019. Committed to pursuing new value through innovation across divisional lines, the company uses its technologies to create a better life and a better world for its customers. To learn more about Panasonic: https://www.panasonic.com/global.