Truphone now enables an iPod touch to call any mobile or landline; still no SIM, no contract, and very little money
From today people using Truphone’s free application for the iPod touch can make phone calls to ANY mobile or landline in the world, using Wi-Fi hotspots and the internet.
When in a Wi-Fi hotspot, Truphone enables an iPod touch to behave in the same way as a typical mobile phone. Wi-Fi hotspots are commonplace in offices, schools, campuses, at home, and even across entire town and city centres.
Truphone calls to landlines and mobiles cost from just £0.03/$0.06* per minute [UK to China or USA, for example], and the service is available across more than 200 countries – helping people to significantly reduce the cost of Christmas Day phone calls to friends and family.
Screenshots: Truphone for iPod touch
Notes to editors
1. Truphone for iPod touch is downloadable, free, from the App Store in the same way as other applications.
2. Once installed, and with the addition of microphone adaptor (Truphone microphone adaptor available soon)**, make free calls from a Wi-Fi hotspot - no matter where you are in the world - from as little as £0.03/$0.06 per minute. See www.truphone.com/pricing for full pricing information.
3. Calls to other iPod touch owners, to another Truphone user and to users of the Google Talk™ instant messaging service are free.
4. The software uses the iPod touch’s Wi-Fi connection to carry calls over the internet to its destination. There is no monthly line rental, no subscription or other hidden charges.
5. Truphone launched an initial version of Truphone for iPod touch on December 4th [announcement].
*Rates correct as of December 15th 2008.
**Microphone adaptor accessory currently available at Apple stores.
• A second generation iPod touch (i.e. current model)
• A free download of Truphone for iPod touch
• A headset and microphone like those for the iPhone. These may be bought at high street electronics retailers or from an Apple store
Making a Truphone call on an iPod touch
This couldn’t be simpler: Truphone displays a virtual keypad for dialling the number – dial and press ‘call’ to make free and cheap calls using Wi-Fi to route calls over the Internet.
Truphone is not a replacement for an ordinary telephone service and emergency calls cannot be made using Truphone. Truphone cannot advise on the legality of VoIP [Voice over IP] services in specific territories or jurisdictions. It is the user’s responsibility to confirm that use of the Truphone VoIP software and service is permitted in the location in which they use it.
Apple and iPod are trademarks of Apple Inc, registered in the United States and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc. Google Talk is a trademark of Google Inc. Google Talk is not a telephony service and cannot be used for emergency dialling. Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. Truphone is a trademark of Software Cellular Network Ltd. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners.